Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Valkyrie

Just got back from seeing the movie Valkyrie (in dollar theater, yay!). Anywho, excellent film. Best film I've seen this year bar none. I wanted to blog about it b/c I believe the men and women involved in operation Valkyrie are great examples of modern day superheroes. They went above and beyond the call of duty to bring peace and order back to a Nazi torn Germany. They were MARTYRS for their beliefs. To me, Martyrdom is the ultimate sacrifice that can be asked of anyone. I actually knew very little before seeing this movie regarding attempts by Germans on Hitler's life. Apparently there were 15 different assassination attempts...Operation Valkyrie was the last one. Mutiny within his own ranks...coming from the inside, very interesting to me, and I had no idea. How is it that we do not learn this in history classes? Never once in school was this concept mentioned. We hear about Oscar Schindler's List, perhaps, but not about the men within the Nazi regimen who tried to put an end to the murder of innocence. So I applaud those who brought attention to the men and women who risked and ended up losing their lives during Operation Valkyrie, all for the sake of bringing down perhaps one of the world's most treacherous murderers. These Germans are a fabulous example of the ultimate super hero.

1 comment:

  1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Valkyrie
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claus_von_Stauffenberg

    ReplyDelete